Sunday, April 19, 2009

kayak rolling - FAIL!

Well, welcome to another installment in the mediocre adventures of Rob. Last Tuesday I took Caden up to one of the few remaining kayak pool practice sessions of the Utah Whitewater Club. I was messing around and working on my off side roll which is coming along good enough to work about half the time. Caden was excited to come but he is still not ready to tip over and do a wet exit to get out of an upside down kayak, which is fine. There is no reason to push him to do something he's not ready to do. He spent most of the session just swimming around in the pool not even in a boat. As the session was winding down Jeff Young aka "smurfwarrior" asked if he could shoot a video of me rolling with his new waterproof fuji camera. He put on a mask and jumped in the water. He said that he would drop under the water and start filming and then I could flip over and roll back up. Sounded simple enough. I'd roll on my on side and I was in a long boat that was easy to roll, no problem. So Jeff went under, I flipped over and set up and proceded to miss three or four attemps before I got back up. Jeff told me that I wasn't tucked up enough so we tried it again and it still took three or four time to get back up. By this point I was feeling pretty stupid after some more advice, I tried it some more. Eventually I did one on the first try, which is the way it should happen every time. So bassically if I'm upside down in the river turn off all cameras otherwise it might take me a bit of work to get back up.

Here's the video that Jeff shot. Feel free to laugh at all the failed attempts.





A few weeks earlier a bunch of us went paddling on the Spanish Fork River. I flipped over a couple of times and rolled right back up with no problem. Jeff must have had his camera off at the time Guess. Here are a couple of videos that Jeff made from that trip.




Seal launching set up and execution.




Here's Jeff's video from the Spanish Fork Trip. I'm in there once or twice (red boat, blue paddle). He must have known to not turn the camera on when I might have tipped over.


Take out craziness.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't think that it was that horrible, in fact it made me reflect on how cool it would be to do that.

    ReplyDelete